fab-user

[Fab-user] fabric-recipes

From: Prateek Sureka
Subject: [Fab-user] fabric-recipes
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 01:31:28 +0530

Hi all,

I've been working on a small set of recipes based on fabric. I use them to manage my organization's network of debian/ubuntu hosts.

The key objectives of the project are:

* Easy to use (no installation, little to no dependencies - except Python+fabric)
* Idempotency

The recipes currently available are:

* apt - ensure a package is installed/removed on all hosts
* cups_client - ensure all hosts are pointing to a specified cups server
* hosts - ensure the hostname of each host is set correctly
* lsof - query the open ports on all hosts
* ntp_client - ensure that the clock on all hosts are sync'd to a central time server and timezone is set correctly
* service - ensure that a particular service is running/stopped/restarted on all hosts
* snmp - ensure that all hosts are set up for snmp using the same community string
* syslog_client - ensure that all hosts are reporting syslog to a centralized syslog server (works great with splunk!)
* web - ensure that an nginx based webserver is correctly proxying a set of internal sites (e.g. webmin/cups server/phpmyadmin) using sub-domains
* webmin - ensure that webmin is correctly deployed on each host
* whois - use your firewall's arp cache and iptraf mac to hostname database to resolve ip addresses and mac addresses to hostname - useful on a DHCP network.

For now it only works on Debian/Ubuntu but I plan to (with your help) support other flavors of *nix, OSX and Windows as well.

Wishlist:
* Ability to remotely run anti-virus scans and quarantine infected hosts using mac address filtering on the firewall
* Automatically configure new hosts on the ldap server (user account as well as asset record) including pam_ldap authentication.
* Automount home directories (add a folder with links to commonly used applications e.g. intranet/crm/hrm
* Automatically backup (ensure certain folders are backed up) to offsite host.
* Any more you can think of?

You can find it at:
https://github.com/surekap/fabric-recipes

--