fab-user

[Fab-user] Announcing Fabric support for Ravello Systems

From: Geert Jansen
Subject: [Fab-user] Announcing Fabric support for Ravello Systems
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 21:47:59 +0100

Hi,

apologies if this is slightly dual purpose but i believe this can be
useful for many people here. I've added Fabric support to TestMill, an
open source project for provisioning single and multi-vm applications
to Amazon, the HP Cloud and Rackspace through the HVX Hypervisor. HVX
is a high-performance, nested hypervisor optimized to run inside a
cloud VM that is developed by Ravello Systems (my employer).

Let me get straight to some code:

  @task
  def provision(name):
      vms = [{'name': 'db', 'image': 'ubuntu1204', 'memory': 2048},
             {'name': 'web', 'image': 'ubuntu1204', 'memory': 1024,
              'services': ['http', 'https']}]
      app = ravello.create_application(name, vms=vms)
      env.hosts = ravello.lookup(name)

This task will create a 2-vm environment, and set env.hosts so that
subsequent Fabric tasks (e.g. run/sudo) will run on these hosts. SSH
keys are deployed automatically. The VMs run in one of our supported
clouds and are connected by a private, L2 network. The entire
application can be snapshotted and saved. You can use our library of
VM images, and you can also upload your VMware and KVM images with any
supported OS (Windows XP and above, Linux, older Windows versions via
a compatibility mode) (note: does *not* require V2V). Ravello is
useful for creating repeatable and high-fidelity copies of your
production environments.

We are currently in beta and if you register you can run up to 6 free
VMs (max 8 concurrent).

If you are interested, please check us out at:

 - testmill.cc
 - ravellosystems.com

Thanks,
Geert