fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Question about a put() function

From: Stephen Rosen
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Question about a put() function
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:20:11 -0400

As a follow up on this thought, my own strategy for this is to actually pass the information through the fabric server. I keep ssh keys from the fabric server to the hosts, so the advantage here is that you don't have to manage authentication between the hosts.
I generally just write to a file in /tmp and then scp that. If simultaneous invocations of fab or parallel execution are issues for you, you can always rely on mktemp.

An alternative approach is to keep an RSA keypair specifically for this purpose, and put the private key on the source host, public key in the target host's authorized_keys file. Without knowing a whole lot about security, this approach sounds like a bad idea, but if you are not too worried about the security of the data you are moving, you might prefer it to routing the information through the fabric server (if, for example, you need high throughput and don't want to make the fabric server a bottleneck).

Hope these thoughts were of use to you.
Best,
-Stephen