fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Remote fabfile

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Remote fabfile
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 12:12:01 -0700

There's no way to do this built in (nor do I see it as necessarily
being worth the development effort offhand - feels like a niche use
case and prioritzation is unfortunately a thing), but the first thing
that springs to mind is using shell tools like zsh's temporary-file
support, e.g.:

    $ fab -H <target> -f =(curl
task:<params>

Where '=(<command>)' creates a local temporary file containing the
stdout of <command>, then expands into that temporary filename.
Presumably bash 4 and other common shells also offer something like
this.

You could also use Python for this, though it'd be more work - e.g.
have a setup task that performs the download, calls __import__ on the
temp file, then hands the resulting module object to Fabric's CLI
functions.