fab-user

[Fab-user] .fabricrc vs command line fab -f

From: bazfire
Subject: [Fab-user] .fabricrc vs command line fab -f
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 11:42:53 -0500

I am new to using fabric and have a question about getting fabric to use a
particular fabfile.py. I am aware that fabric will look for a fabfile.py in the
directory in which the command is issued.  fabric will also accept a fabfile.py
in the command line using the “-f” option such as

        $ fab -f ~/fabfile.py -l

You can also put a definition inside the .fabricrc file such as

        fabfile=~/fabfile_1.py

and run your fab command as follows

        fab -l

and it will use the fabfile found at ~/fabfile_1.py.

My actual question is that it seems like that the command line option
specification for the location of the fabfile should override the .fabricrc
specification but it does not seem to. I would have expected the following
command to work with the fabfile_2.py even though fabfile_1.py has been
specified in the .fabricrc file.

        $ fab -f ~/project/fabfile_2.py -l

but this command actually uses ~/fabfile_1.py

Any thoughts or comments?