fab-user

RE: Does Fabric work on Windows?

From: chris
Subject: RE: Does Fabric work on Windows?
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 16:16:49 -0500

I would also be interested if this is the case (or direction).

A few years ago when I was looking for a library providing an OS agnostic shell wrapper in Python, I ended up using Fabric for Linux/Unix and writing my own wrapper for PowerShell on Windows.  Now that the open-source version of PowerShell (pwsh) has been out for a while and working on UX variants, I recently had a go at using it.  But the required OS libraries for security models (NTLM/Kerberos/etc) on the different Linux variants… too convoluted for an generic wrapper.

My use-case needed to talk to all servers in any customer’s datacenter, without provisioning agents or changing any configurations. I needed to use what was already there, which meant PowerShell (and not SSH) on Windows. FWIW, my purpose was to automate discovery of software application dependencies as input into application/service modeling and monitoring downstream. If it’s helpful, you can see the PowerShell wrapper I created in the Open Content Platform project (github.com/opencontentplatform/ocp).

What I found was that OpenSSH was pretty close to being uniform across the Windows and UX variants; heck, it’s even available now in the Features list in recent Server or workstation builds.  But pwsh, which requires OpenSSH at least currently… not close enough for my liking.