fencepost-users

[Fencepost-users] Fencepost and mail aliases

From: Lisa Marie Maginnis
Subject: [Fencepost-users] Fencepost and mail aliases
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 17:58:41 -0400

Hello Everyone,

We had an issue last week where a fencepost user made a mistake while making
changes to
/com/mailer/aliases. It was suggested to the FSF SysAdmins that it might be a
good idea
to run DIFFMON(1) agaisnt the alias file. I agree, and have set this up.

For those of you who do not know what DIFFMON(1) is, it is a simple program
that checks
on the state of files via a cronjob and then emails any changes (a diff) to an
arbitrary email address.

What I would like to do is point this script at this mailing list, so that
every time a
fencepost user makes a change to the aliases file all users are notified.
Obviously the
script would be low traffic, since it will only email the list when people
modify that
file. The cron will run every hour.

If anyone has any objections to this, please let me know. Otherwise I am going
to point
DIFFMON(1) at this mailing list on Monday morning.

Thanks & Happy Hacking everyone!

--
~Lisa Marie Maginnis
Senior System Administrator