fenfire-dev

Re: [Fenfire-dev] Repost: Functional PEG

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] Repost: Functional PEG
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:27:08 +0300

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:18:41AM +0300, Hermanni Hyytiala wrote:
> Tuomas Lukka wrote:
>
> >=============================================================
> >PEG functional_futureproof_api--tjl:
> >=============================================================
> >
> >:Author:   Tuomas J. Lukka
> >:Last-Modified: $Date: 2003/09/05 13:22:02 $
> >:Revision: $Revision: 1.4 $
> >
> >Functions and caching are here to stay with us.
> >However, the caching is currently pretty nasty for the programmer
> >and requires active thinking, especially in the case of super-lazy
> >functions (i.e. caches that schedule evaluation only after being
> >requested the value and return a placeholder).
> >
> >This PEG provides a future-proof API for handling functions and caching
> >cleanly.
> >

> What is *the* fundamental reason why functions and caching want to stay
> with us? I could imagine this PEG tries to solve the issues related to
> "smoothier interface experience" -issues, but I'm not sure.

Yes, this is exactly the correct reasoning.

Functions and caches provide a smoother experience without making the code
terribly complicated: the functional abstraction is clean so that caching
only needs to be considered in a few places of the code, instead of everywhere.

> [ps: Is this PEG somehow related to zzstructure's features that we try
> to implement in RDF, or...]

I don't understand this at all - what features are we trying to implement in
RDF?

        Tuomas