fiasco-dev

spss file format

From: Jens M. Lauritsen
Subject: spss file format
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:37:17 +0100

Good colleques.

If any suggestions other than look at the pspp pages please send any
comments to me directly on the questions below:

----------------
For simple as well as comprehensive dataentry we have made a "one exe file"
dataentry program EpiData for windows - freeware. (See http://www.epidata.dk.

The program implements the well known EpiInfo QES/CHK/REC file system.
Files can be exported with value and variable labels for use in Stata. And
without labels for Excel, CSV (comma separated) and dbase formats.

Some users have suggested that we make exports available to SPSS as well.
To facilitate this SPSS gives access to a dll file which has functions for
reading and writing files. With the files examples are included for C++ and
Visual Basic. But EpiData is programmed in delphi pascal (v3.0) for 32bit
windows .

Therefore two questions:
1. Does anyone have in a file or paperbased a description of the format of
spss files, such that we can write them directly. Including variable and
value labels, plus missing value definitions ?

2. Has anyone experience in writing pascal based programs that utilise the
SPSS SPSSIO32.dll system.

Please answer directly to: address@hidden Not to the list.
Fax: +45 65561205

Kindly

Jens M. Lauritsen, Senior Registrar, PhD.
Fyns Amt (County of Fyn), Health Service Division
e-mail: address@hidden