flexisip-developers

Re: [Flexisip-developers] Why is the Linphone SIP server port set to 522

From: Sylvain Berfini
Subject: Re: [Flexisip-developers] Why is the Linphone SIP server port set to 5228 and not 5060?
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 12:04:21 +0200

Hi,

Yes sip.linphone.org is listening to port 5228 among others. This is to maximize chances a client will be able to connect no matter the network it's connected to, because some will block port 5060 to prevent users from doing VoIP.

Port 5228 is used by apple for push notifications, it is less likely to being blocked by network administrators. We also use port 5223 (android push notifications).

In liblinphone, it's the DNS SRV request that will return the port 5228 / 5223 (if TLS).

Cheers,