flexisip-developers

Re: Chat capabilities

From: Peio Rigaux
Subject: Re: Chat capabilities
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 17:50:52 +0100

Hello.

- to see the past group-chat if my_user was offline but other users
continued the chat?
Yes, as long as your user didn't leave the chatroom and as long as the Flexisip services were not restarted.

However, messages are not stored on the server once they have been delivered. For instance, a new user joining an existing group chat room will not see previous messages (neither a user uninstalling the mobile client app).

- to create persistent chat-rooms, invite or expulge other users, maybe
even users from 3rd party users?
This is possible.

Regarding 3rd party users, I assume that you are talking about users of another Flexisip-based sip service.

This can be done with the configuration of the RegEvent-server.

We do not provide a full tutorial for such a feature because it has not been much asked. For these complex cases we usually configure the server ourselves for a fee.

- share files, which behave like messages from the first question
(embedded in chat history)?
Yes, from what I understood from your question. The files sent can be seen in the chat history. The file sharing depends on a third party Apache service called flexisip-http-file-transfer-server. Note that file expiration is defined by this module, not Flexisip.

The translation of all my questions could be, is the chat experience
similar to the mainstream messengers out there?
It really depends on what you are expecting from a mainstream messenger app.

I would say that it does the job pretty well, when you compare our team size to the other providers'.

Maybe you could give it a try ?

If you want we can even help us for a fee. Do not hesitate to contact our sales team here. (we could then do the configuration for you or help with your questions)

Regards,

Peio Rigaux
Junior DevOps Engineer
Linphone.org

Hi, before diving into flexisip I wanted to see how the chat-
functionality of linphone/flexisip looks like. I tried to search on the
net but did not found enough answers.

Is it possible for an user like my_user@my_flexisip_server.net

- to see the past group-chat if my_user was offline but other users
continued the chat?

- to create persistent chat-rooms, invite or expulge other users, maybe
even users from 3rd party users?

- share files, which behave like messages from the first question
(embedded in chat history)?

The translation of all my questions could be, is the chat experience
similar to the mainstream messengers out there?

Regards