flpda-disc

Re: [Flpda-disc] flpda strategy

From: Cam
Subject: Re: [Flpda-disc] flpda strategy
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 22:57:50 +0100

Peeter

Hi I hope you have sorted out the mail list. I have seen lots of testing messages from you. How big is the membership right now? Maybe the interested parties should introduce themselves.

1. make it compatible with nonpatched fltk-1.1.4
        -- floating point operations where needed.
        => will require modifications into all applications, maybe.

I don't mind being compatible with 1.1.4 but I think adding in support for floating point ops to the apps would be a mistake, since they were removed and the integer based alternatives were written for a good reason. We can still be highly compatible by writing wrapper functions where necessary, supporting the de-facto API that the applications use with a thin wrapper that calls float routines where necessary. Eventually we should be able to support the features with integer based solutions.

2. import flek pda features.

I have a working version where I have done most of this already. The affected classes include

-rw-r--r--    1 cxm      cxm          1055 Sep  5 10:49 export.h
-rw-r--r--    1 cxm      cxm          9032 Sep  5 10:55 FDate.H
-rw-r--r--    1 cxm      cxm          2387 Sep  5 10:56 FBase.H
-rw-r--r--    1 cxm      cxm          4820 Sep  6 16:26 Fl_App_Window.H
-rw-r--r--    1 cxm      cxm          3394 Sep  6 16:27 Fl_Dockable_Window.H
-rw-r--r-- 1 cxm cxm 524 Sep 6 22:10 Fl_Page_UpDown_Button.H
-rw-r--r--    1 cxm      cxm          6181 Sep  7 01:14 Fl_Calendar.H
-rw-rw-r--    1 cxm      cxm          1459 Sep  7 02:43 Fl_Toolbar.H
-rw-rw-r--    1 cxm      cxm          2716 Sep  8 23:18 Fl_Icon_Button.H
-rw-r--r--    1 cxm      cxm          9345 Sep  8 23:36 Widget_Factory.h

Mostly they are from flek but there are some I have added (Toolbar and Icon_Button)

3. include PDA i18n stuff
        -- setting LANG env variable.
        -- flpda widgets will have translations.
        -- some changes into time widgets, the am/pm stuff needs thinking

Good.

What are Your interests, maybe we have some of them the same.

I want to make changes to flpda where necessary to improve the usability of the current applications so that they are of commercial quality. This means adding features and improving performance. I also want to improve the design of the system where possible. For example I have improved the toolbar so it is implemented with fewer widgets, behaves better and is easier to code for. No doubt other parts of the code could be improved too.

I'm keen to get other developers interested so I would like to take advice on how to do that. Should I publish a tarball of work in progress? Should I make vrdebs? Should I just update CVS? Or make a new rootdisk?

-Cam