[fluid-dev] No sound from fluidsynth

From: Jose Diago
Subject: [fluid-dev] No sound from fluidsynth
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 17:43:43 +0200

Hello.

I recently downloaded and compiled Fluidsynth to use it in a project involving MidiShare. I'm currently using RedHat 7.3 and ALSA 0.9.2

So the first time I compiled it using ./configure; make; make install, that worked just fine. So running fluidsynth for the first time shows some info and some warnings:

        $ fluidsynth

        ** Using format s16, rw, interleaved
fluidsynth: warning: Couldn't set high priority scheduling for the audio output fluidsynth: warning: Couldn't set high priority scheduling for the MIDI input
        fluidsynth version 1.0.1
        Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Peter Hanappe and others.
        FLUID Synth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
        under certain conditions; see the COPYING file for details.
        SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

        Type 'help' to get information on the shell commands.

Ok, so it runs with some warnings. Then I tried to test it with a SF and a Midi File:

        $ fluidsynth Claudio_Piano.SF2 LucyInTheSkyWithDiamonds.mid

fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
        ** Using format s16, rw, interleaved
fluidsynth: warning: Couldn't set high priority scheduling for the audio output fluidsynth: warning: Couldn't set high priority scheduling for the MIDI input
        fluidsynth version 1.0.1
        Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Peter Hanappe and others.
        FLUID Synth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
        under certain conditions; see the COPYING file for details.
        SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

        Type 'help' to get information on the shell commands.

So it runs with a new warning but I have no sound output at all. Then I tried to compile it with '--enable-midishare' to get midishare support, but I had to make some changes to fluid_midishare.c to get it to compile (missing include, parse error, and some deprecated functions), but when I run fluidsynth it doesn't get registered as a MidiShare application (in msconnect), so, do I need to run fluidsynth with a special option?

Ok, so, am I doing something wrong? am I missing something during compilation or execution?

Thanks for reading,
Jose Diago.