Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth
Date: 28 May 2003 10:49:43 -0700

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 10:26, M. Nentwig wrote:
> Hello,
>
> yesterday I recompiled Fluidsynth again after a long time (the release
> version).
> I encountered a couple of problems:
> - Reverb denormal number problem (Pentium III), setting DC_offset to
> 1e-6 fixes that
> - Midi loses sync now and then
> - jack driver does not survive all but very short dropouts. That's a
> killer (one long dropout and the synth is dead).
> - First noteon for each sample causes a dropout, because the loop
> 'volume' measurement takes too much time
> - Should there be a mutex mechanism to synchronize MIDI and audio
> thread?
> - iiwu_sse.h is missing
>
> The issue with the Ladspa Fx unit and audio routing is still bugging me:
> I was thinking through how to document it, and found out that I have no
> clear idea myself what is the current situation with audio groups and
> audio outputs. I'll check the code later on...
>
> Cheers
>
> Markus

So you noticed :) I sent a similar email to the list about a week and a
half ago, hope you got it (since this list hasn't been treating me all
that good):
http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2003-05/msg00009.html

I think another version of FluidSynth should be released soon. It makes
me sad to think someone might be trying out FluidSynth for the first
time only to find it takes up 100% CPU and doesn't run SCHED_FIFO (I
guess thats a good thing considering the previous problem :) so audio
glitches run rampant. I would hope these users have some patience and
don't go away just because of this first impression. Since it really is
an excellent synth.

Of course my copy has been fixed, so I tend to forget what the public is
using. I have been happily jamming with various people. Its been really
cool and I now have a nice expression pedal that I can use with my
keyboard to map various effects to. Which reminds me, I should release
another version of Swami, since I fixed lots of bugs concerning the
global modulators and added some new features too. Cheers.
        Josh Green