Re: [fluid-dev] fluid~ crashes

From: Garett Shulman
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluid~ crashes
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 23:07:47 -0700

Josh Green wrote:

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 02:56, Peter Hanappe wrote:
Garett Shulman wrote:
While I'm at it... This is probably completely outside the paridigm of
fluidsynth, so if you are offended by the suggestion please just
disregard... Really, the only thing that is keeping fluidsynth from
completely emulating subtractive synthesis is pwm. It would be usefull
to have a generator that could take an offset from the start of a sample
and set all output of that sample to 0 after that. Or something like
that. But, perhaps such a beast does not belong in the main fluidsynth
source. Perhaps a patch would be more appropriate.
Do you think PWM is possible using the modulation envelope? You could
control the width by changing the decay and sustain phases in runtime.
The volume envelope can not drop to zero instantaniously but in a span
of 64 samples.

Cheers,

My impression of the abbreviation "PWM" is Pulse Width Modulation. Can
anyone clue me into what this is and how it would be used with SoundFont
synthesis? Just curious.
        Josh Green

Well, pulse width modulation is when you have a square wave: __----__----__ and you modulate the length of time that the wave is up: __----__---___--____-____--____---___----__ pwm gives a nice phase shifting type sound. Or you can just have the up portion be shortend and not changeing -___-___-___. This changes the timbre of the square wave. I guess pwm is not absolutley restricted to square waves, but that is how I think of it. How it would be used with soundfont synthesis is a good question. The first step would be to setup a soundfont with square wave samples. After that I guess you are kinda going beyond the bounds of the sound font spec.