Re: [fluid-dev] DSP testing

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] DSP testing
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:30:02 -0800

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 09:46, Peter Hanappe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 1)
>
> I started to set up a series of tests to validate the DSP of the
> synthesizer. It's been a slow process so I can't say much, yet.

Its really great to hear that you are running some synthesis validation
tests. Whats your current setup for testing this? Are you using Jack? I
have a feeling there are probably some issues with stereo output in
regards to the phase offset between right/left speakers. Is there
currently a way to guarantee multiple voices to all start at the same
time? Playing the same note can often sound different for each note on.

> Of the arguments to the function fluid_synth_set_reverb() in the
> FluidSynth API, only the roomsize, damping, and width are taken into
> account. The 'level' argument, which is the 'wet' value, is ignored
> because reverb_send fills in that function.

I've noticed that the damping parameter has no effect (at least as far
as I can hear). Perhaps its just really subtle in its effect?

On another note.. I was noticing that the filter turnoff optimization
that I was messing with before is still not optimal. One can often still
hear clicks or other audible changes when the filter transitions between
off and on or visa versa. Perhaps once the filter gets turned on for a
voice, it should remain on.

Is the TODO file up to date? I'd like to see about helping with some of
the items on that list.

> I hope this was useful.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Keep up the good work :) Its cool seeing activity with the FluidSynth
project. I hope to help out more in the near future.
        Cheers,
        Josh Green