Re: [fluid-dev] DSP testing

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] DSP testing
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:57:15 +0200

Josh Green wrote:
On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 02:21, Peter Hanappe wrote:

I have a feeling there are probably some issues with stereo output in
regards to the phase offset between right/left speakers. Is there
currently a way to guarantee multiple voices to all start at the same
time? Playing the same note can often sound different for each note on.

No, there currently is any way to guarantee they start together. It
could happen that the audio thread intervenes between the initialization
of the first voice and the initialization of the second voice, in which
case the two voices are shifted by 64 samples. I should test whether
this really happens and think of a way to fix it if it does. Good point.

What suprises me is that it makes that big a difference that you hear
it. Is there any way you could record it?

As Tim Goetze mentioned, a 64 sample offset is enough to expose
different phasing effects between samples. I'll see about recording an
example.

You're right about the phasing effects. What I had in mind when I wrote
that was a 64 sample delay between the sample going to the left channel
and the sample going to the right channel.

I've noticed that the damping parameter has no effect (at least as far
as I can hear). Perhaps its just really subtle in its effect?

Did you try the version in CVS? I find that the reverb has improved
and the effects seem more intuitive now.

I just downloaded it and gave it a try. Wow! Much better sounding reverb
:)  Instruments sound much more vibrant now. I still can't notice any
change though when modifying the damping parameter. Perhaps I should try
the original Freeverb to see if it has the same effect (or non-effect
rather).

I quickly did a test and I've put two files on the web site:

  http://www.fluidsynth.org/test-reverb-damp-0.wav, and
  http://www.fluidsynth.org/test-reverb-damp-1.wav

In the first recording the damping equals 0, in the second 1. Roomsize
and width are 0.5 in both.

Cheers,
Peter

Cheers.