Re: [fluid-dev] Re: two or more notes simultaneously

From: David McNab
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: two or more notes simultaneously
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:04:52 +1200

Joe Corneli wrote:
  Just fire off several 'noteon' commands in quick succession.
  If you're hearing any discernible delay, check your software for speed.

Well, "discernible" is a relative term.  I wouldn't trust my life to
two noteon commands fired in quick succession even if I had the
world's fastest personal computer.

Worth noting that the raw MIDI protocol itself has no provision for simultaneous notes - playing a 7-note chord causes 7 separate NoteOn packets to be sent, one after the other, yet musicians and their audiences are generally happy with this.

It's not an issue of whether there's a delay in the noteon events, whether the events are stdin/socket commands to fluidsynth, ALSA API calls, or raw MIDI packets. The issue is more one of how *long* the delay is.

A tripletted hemidemisemiquaver at 120 bps has a duration of 21 milliseconds. You don't get a lot of notes this short in most music, save for some clusters of grace notes, which are usually played monophonically. It takes a damn fine musician to get anywhere near this speed, let alone beat-perfect.

So delay probably starts to become discernible if much more than (say) 3 milliseconds elapse between the first and the last noteon.

Conclusion - don't worry. You're building music for human, not computer, ears. Just as 25-20 frames/sec suffices for most people watching movies, small delays in musical notes will go completely unnoticed.

Cheers
David