[fluid-dev] fluidsynth hangs a looong time if the loopback network devic

From: Herman Robak
Subject: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth hangs a looong time if the loopback network device (lo, localhost) is absent
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:43:43 +0200

I had a quirk in my network setup: the "lo" device did not come up
at boot time.  When I was off-line I did not bother doing a
/etc/init.d/networking restart

But without the loopback device, fluidsynth hung on start-up.
And it hung for several minutes!  Eventually, something timed
out, and fluidsynth worked just fine.  But it was both puzzling
and annoying.

Should there be a sanity check for this?  I don't need network
support in my daily use of fluidsynth.  When the program hangs
for several minutes without any error messages, a naive user
will have little clue about what is wrong.

--
Herman Robak