[fluid-dev] Help with Fluidsynth installation appreciated

From: Jussi Bergström
Subject: [fluid-dev] Help with Fluidsynth installation appreciated
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:15:48 +0200

Hi!

I have succesfully compiled the Fluidsynth installation, and it works well as a standalone MIDI player, i.e. the following command produces the correct result:

  fluidsynth sound_font.sf2 midi_file.mid

However, running Fluidsynth as an ALSA sequencer doesn't work in the expected manner. I assume that I should start Fluidsynth as a sequencer with the following command:

  fluidsynth -m alsa_seq sound_font.sf2

Now, however, Fluidsynth seems to reserve all sound output; no other audio can be heard until I end Fluidsynth, nor does playing MIDI through ALSA sequencer work.

Running the latter command gives the following messages; is this because of the large size of the specified soundfont:

fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
** Using format s16, rw, interleaved

I am able to select "FLUID Synth (7426) Synth input port (7426) - ALSA device" as my MIDI device in the Sound System config module.

--
Regards, Jussi Bergström