Re: [fluid-dev] Crazy non-Xrun Xruns

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Crazy non-Xrun Xruns
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 19:37:21 +0000

Hello Ken,

I have a sound card that uses the same driver and also have problems
with Jack and very bad audio output (I don't get continuous xrun errors,
but it sounds like the effect of lots and lots of xruns, clicks/pops
etc).  I believe I got things working in the past by messing with the
frames and period sizes.  I just tested this, and found that the default
of 2 periods and 1024 frames per period was messed up (as mentioned),
but if I change it to 3 periods, it works fine.  I was even able to
reduce it to 512 frames without problems, as long as it is set to 3
periods.  You can do this by starting jack like so:

jackd -d alsa -n 3 -p 512

Maybe that helps?  If not, I would look into other things, like make
sure jackd is using the hw:0 device (that is the default, so not sure
why it wouldn't be).  Best regards,
        Josh