[Fwd: [fluid-dev] Midi standards (was: Fix for problem with CC changes t

From: David Henningsson
Subject: [Fwd: [fluid-dev] Midi standards (was: Fix for problem with CC changes to Bank MSB)]
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 11:14:57 +0200

David Henningsson skrev:
> Otherwise I think it makes sense - LSB setting does not affect MSB
> setting, and the other way around.
>
> A question to the audience: Why do we have variables for banknum and
> prognum in fluid_channel_t, when they can be read from (and written to)
> the CC array?

First; forget about the prognum - it is not a CC. The question is still
valid for banknum though.

I've tried to dig a bit deeper here. It is hard to find free standards
on the net (has anybody bought a copy from midi.org?), but I found the
XG standard here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060926124939/http://www.yamaha.co.uk/xg/reading/pdf/xg_spec.pdf

The first question is: What do we really support? GM? GM2? GS? XG? For
XG, the drum kit bank is 127, not 1.

There is also some information in this document which I think should
apply to us regardless, especially the default values of controllers. E
g the default volume for each channel should be 100 by default, not 127
as set in fluid_channel_init_ctrl.

// David