Re: [fluid-dev] OS/2 support and glib

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] OS/2 support and glib
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:50:13 -0400

Sending again since I forgot to CC the list with my reply.

Quoting KO Myung-Hun <address@hidden>:
Hi/2.

address@hidden wrote:
Hello,

I've read that the glib library supports OS/2, but I haven't seen a place to download it. I hope that it does not over complicate the OS/2 build of FluidSynth to move to using glib. Do let us know. I'll be removing some of the OS/2 specific code in favor of glib provided code.

You can find 'glib' stuffs here,

   http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=glib&pushbutton=Search

I think that 'glibidl_20070521.zip' is most reliable because it is used
by Mozilla suite. But I know it is 1.2.x.

BTW, unfortunately I have not used them at all, so I cannot be sure
they work fine.

--
KO Myung-Hun

Using Mozilla SeaMonkey 1.1.14
Under OS/2 Warp 4 for Korean with FixPak #15
On AMD ThunderBird 1 GHz with 512 MB RAM

Korean OS/2 User Community : http://www.ecomstation.co.kr

Currently I was planning on requiring glib 2.10, as it has some features like memory slices and in turn is required by libinstpatch, which may be a future FluidSynth dependency. I see that the version on that site is glib 2.6 though.

The benefits of using glib as far as code maintainability and portability (for most operating systems) is very convenient. I would like to try and keep OS/2 support, since you have made the effort to add it. I think if it comes down to using glib or supporting OS/2 though, I will likely choose glib.

There aren't a whole lot of additional features with 2.10 though, so we could probably depend instead on 2.6 or some lower version, or at least provide backwards compatibility.

I'm still totally amazed that OS/2 is still being used! ;) That you are looking at a screen with a build of Mozilla, surfing the Internet. Amazing!

Best regards,
    Josh