[fluid-dev] Multiple jack clients == really bad

From: josh
Subject: [fluid-dev] Multiple jack clients == really bad
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 19:59:03 -0700

While doing some testing of the MIDI parser, using the Jack MIDI driver, I discovered that FluidSynth would semi-randomly lose connection with Jack on startup.

It seems Jack (at least 116.1) doesn't like to have multiple client connections. Currently the Jack audio driver and Jack MIDI driver create separate client connections. In addition, I discovered that PortAudio will also create a Jack client connection when you initialize the library. In order to have the list of PortAudio devices in the audio.portaudio.device, PortAudio is initialized even if it doesn't get used. We may be able to get around this by de-initializing the driver at the end of getting the device list.

At any rate, some work cut out for me, to merge the JACK audio and MIDI drivers. I already kind of hacked it somewhat, but its a bit too messy for my taste.

Yet another status report, as we count down to the release of 1.1.0. Any reports on testing would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to test as much as I can, but its hard to cover every usage scenario.

Cheers!
Josh