Re: [fluid-dev] re: Same client for Jack audio and MIDI

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] re: Same client for Jack audio and MIDI
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 12:03:53 -0700

Hello Jimmy,

Quoting jimmy <address@hidden>:

Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 22:54:27 -0700
From: address@hidden

I suppose we could just make the assumption that there wont
be
multiple Jack audio or Jack MIDI clients and call it
good.  I could
see a user perhaps wanting to use separate Jack servers for
audio and
MIDI though.

Any opinions or ideas on this?

I haven't gotten to try running separate jackd for each soundcard. So I don't know what implications there maybe about single instance of jackd. I do know that qjackctl currently (last check was last year, though) only deal with one jackd instance. If I already have jackd started, qjackctl just assume control of that instance. Only heard on the grapevines that separate jackd can be run, and can be synchronized.

I don't understand what you are refering to. Are you talking about the decription/name of the jackd-client, or jackd-client port number, or something else? I don't know of jackd options to show existing list of jackd clients, except using qjackctl, or maybe something like 'patchage'... With qjackctl, I see under the audio tab:

   'fluidsynth'
       -- with 'left', 'right' audio channels

under the Jack-MIDI tab:

   'fluidsynth-mid'
       -- with 'midi' port below it

or, under the Alsa-MIDI tab:

   130:FLUID Synth(<processIDnumber>)
       -- 0:Synth input port(<processIDnumber>)

Jimmy

What I'm talking about is in relation to what Pedro mentioned, about the Jack audio and MIDI FluidSynth drivers. Currently they have been separate Jack clients, which is convenient as far as the FluidSynth API is concerned, since it is designed to treat individual driver instances separately. With this API you could theoretically create multiple Jack audio drivers or MIDI drivers for example. The issue is that if the audio and MIDI drivers are separate, then they aren't synchronized, which is one of the main reasons for using MIDI with Jack in the first place.

I decided on a solution though. The last Jack MIDI or audio driver will be remembered and when another driver is created it will be paired together if its using the same Jack server and FluidSynth data instance. This should handle the case where multiple FluidSynth instances are created or multiple Jack audio or MIDI drivers are created, and also handle pairing of audio/MIDI drivers if created back to back.

Josh