[fluid-dev] defaulting to bank 0 and preset 0 on startup in fluid librar

From: Louis B.
Subject: [fluid-dev] defaulting to bank 0 and preset 0 on startup in fluid library
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:14:02 +0000

Hi All,

I have another small change I would like to see in the next release if possible.

when commenting out the following line 51 from example.c no sound is produced

  /* Select bank 0 and preset 0 in the SoundFont we just loaded on
     channel 0 */
  //fluid_synth_program_select(synth, 0, sfont_id, 0, 0);

I believe that the system should default to bank 0 and preset 0 when a
sound font is first loaded. Some midi files forget to set a preset
especially single piano pieces. This caught me out a few times and I
had to add the following code to my start up.
    for (int channel = 0; channel < MAX_MIDI_CHANNELS ; channel++)
    {
        fluid_synth_program_change(m_synth, channel, GM_PIANO_PATCH);
    }

However the standalone version of fluidsynth does not have this
problem and defaults to preset 0.

Thanks

Louis