Re: [fluid-dev] MSVS Build in SVN is broken

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] MSVS Build in SVN is broken
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:12:58 +0200

On Wednesday, July 14, 2010, David Henningsson wrote:
> Hmm,
> I don't have MSVS so I haven't thought of that there even was such a
> project file.
> Now I see that we don't only have CMake, autotools but also a MSVS build
> system...sigh. So three different build systems to maintain every time I
> add a file or change its location...are there more?

There is not only a fluidsynth.sln (for Visual Studio 2008) but also a
fluidsynth.dsw (for VisualC 6.0). There is also a project file for MacOS9,
and several additional headers for mac and win, too.

And you need to take into account the debug/release configurations, and
special options for each platform and compiler. Nothing centralized in a
single place, and mostly undocumented.

I think that this is unmaintenable. We should start thinking about cleaning
the buildsystems one of these days.

> Anyway. I might be out on deep water here, but  I think CMake has a
> generator for MSVS, so if you can use that to generate the needed files,
> that would be the best.

That is correct. I've tested both the CMake MSVS generator in Windows and the
Mac OSX one creating Xcode projects successfully.

Another advantage of CMake: your updates regarding directories are used to
generate all the project files and Makefiles, from a single specification.

Regards,
Pedro