Re: [fluid-dev] Looking for help before I start pulling out my hair

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Looking for help before I start pulling out my hair
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:24:36 +0200

On Thursday, July 15, 2010, Graham Goode wrote:
> I was informed that CMake would create the necessary configuration to
> build with MSVS, so I downloaded and installed CMake, ran the Windows
> GUI, configured it for the VS2008 compiler and then got a whole load
> of errors and red lines. Most of the red was for libraries I didn't
> need (alsa, jack, etc). So I deselected those. I then tried loading
> PATH statements for things that I did need,(i.e.the PortAudio build),
> but nothing worked. I readup on the FAQ online, and I still do not
> know how to get it to find what it seems to be needing.

Most libraries required by FluidSynth are checked using the pkg-config
utility, in windows and any other platforms. You need the "pkg-config.exe"
program available in the PATH, and the pkg-config data directory containing
all the *.pc files for the libraries you intend to use.

How to get the libraries and pkg-config installed in windows? Well, for
FluidSynth 1.1.x, the first requirement is glib (and gthread). Here is the
download page: http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html

You need glib-VERSION.zip, glib-dev-VERSION.zip, and pkg-config-X.zip, if you
uncompress all these zips in the same directory, for instance C:\soft, then
you will get the following tree:

C:\soft\
├───bin
├───include
│   └───glib-2.0
│       ├───gio
│       ├───glib
│       └───gobject
├───lib
│   └───glib-2.0
│       └───include
├───libsndfile
│   ├───doc
│   ├───include
│   └───Projects
│       ├───w32-cygwin
│       ├───w32-vc7
│       └───w32-vc9
├───manifest
├───pkgconfig
├───share
│   ├───aclocal
(...)

As you can see, there is a directory C:\soft\pkgconfig, it has some little
text files containing compile and link specifications for several libraries.

C:\> pkg-config --list-all
gio-2.0               GIO - glib I/O library
gmodule-2.0           GModule - Dynamic module loader for GLib
glib-2.0              GLib - C Utility Library
gmodule-no-export-2.0 GModule - Dynamic module loader for GLib
gthread-2.0           GThread - Thread support for GLib
sndfile               sndfile - A library for reading and writing audio files
gobject-2.0           GObject - GLib Type, Object, Parameter and Signal

C:\soft\pkgconfig> dir /w
 Directory of C:\soft\pkgconfig
[.]                        [..]
gio-2.0.pc                 glib-2.0.pc
gmodule-2.0.pc             gmodule-no-export-2.0.pc
gobject-2.0.pc             gthread-2.0.pc
sndfile.pc
               7 File(s)          2,104 bytes

For instance, this is the content of my "sndfile.pc":

prefix=C:/soft/libsndfile
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}
includedir=${prefix}/include

Name: sndfile
Requires:
Version: 1.0.20
Libs: -L${libdir} -llibsndfile-1
Cflags: -I${includedir}

I don't use PortAudio myself, but SndFile may be similar. I've installed it at
the same place (C:\soft), then created and placed "sndfile.pc" in the
pkgconfig data directory, because this file wasn't available in the
downloaded packages.

Finally, I think you may want to look at the content of my PATH environment
variable (from VS2008 command prompt):

PATH=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE;C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\BIN;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools;C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5;C:
\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio 9.0\VC\VCPackages;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin;C:
\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (March 2008)\Utilities\Bin\x86;C:
\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\CMake
2.6\bin;C:\soft\bin;C:\soft\libsndfile

For more information, please provide detailed error messages.

Regards,
Pedro