Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth instrument attenuation

From: S. Christian Collins
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth instrument attenuation
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:30:31 -0500

Gerald, the 1:0.4 correspondence is the "correct" behavior for compatibility with the thousands of SoundFonts that have been created expecting this behavior.  This is what I proposed, so as of FluidSynth 1.0.9, 1 dB of attenuation specified at the instrument/preset level will only give you 0.4 dB attenuation.  I believe this was the case with 1.0.8 and earlier as well, but I had to be specific about this unique case in my proposal since FluidSynth previously calculated all dB scales at 0.4 as well (for modulators, etc.), when only the instrument/preset attenuation should be calculated at this scale.

If FluidSynth has changed this behavior since, I don't know, since I haven't really looked closely at it in a while.

-~Chris