Re: [fluid-dev] Multi-kernel system test

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Multi-kernel system test
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 05:20:15 +0200

Hi Bernd,

I've been puzzled when you describe that the sound changes when you change the number of FS instances, but now I have a theory of what might be going on...

If you have a sound and you play it back in the left and right channel, and you do so at exactly the same point in time, the result will be one sound only, coming from the center. However, if you delay one of the sounds by a few samples, the result is some kind of "stereo effect", some would say it almost sounds like a chorus effect, you might call it a "widescreen stereo effect".

Now when you put one sound in the first instance of FS and the other sound in the second instance, these FS instances are not completely synchronised, which leads to the "widescreen stereo effect" discussed above.

I bet jOrgan starts up the FluidSynth instances one after another (and to complicate matters, each FS instance starts up rendering threads, which are scheduled asynchronously by the OS...). So whenever the speed of "startup" changes somehow - due to e g different hardware, or me changing something in how quick FS starts up, or even in jOrgan - you will go something like "oh, the sound just is amazing now" or "oh, the sound just doesn't sound as rich anymore", and we will think you're nuts, because we haven't even changed the sound! :-)

So, given that my theory is true: since your organ won't sound the same anywhere else than on your computer, I'd advise you to have FS instance only, then experiment with delaying the different voices in a few samples (and I don't have a good estimate of how many "a few" actually is, but at least a few milliseconds) and see if you can can accomplish the same effect that way.

// David