Re: [fluid-dev] Erratic behavior of Loop type '3' - Continue after relea

From: Element Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Erratic behavior of Loop type '3' - Continue after release
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 09:51:08 -0700

Sent before from the wrong email address..  Sending again so the list
accepts it.  Please reply to this one instead of the previous one.

Graham Goode wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm experiencing weird behavior with fluidysnth 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 when
> using loop type '3' - Continue after release... most of the time the
> release simply does not sound. Running my fingers very very fast up
> and down the keyboard gets them to sound, and a few sound correctly
> all the time, but only when the preceeding loop is of a certain size.
>
> This is the method that we use to create the release portion from
> recorded samples:
>
> Separate the release portion from the main audio file and perform a
> fade into that portion using audio software. Insert 1/2 a second of
> silence before the release portion, then create a loop within the
> silence. Create an instrument layer with the wave files of the sustain
> portion of the samples, create a second instrument layer with the wave
> files of the release portions of the samples. Create a preset with
> both instrument layers and play the whole sample.
>
> But most of the release portions are not being played when using
> fluidsynth, but play fine in sfz.
>
> Has anyone else come accross this? Is there already a bug report for
> it or should I attempt to create one?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> GrahamG
> Johannesburg, South Africa

Hello Graham,

I noticed no one responded to this one and I think I have an idea of
what is going on.  There are some routines to determine when a sample
has gone perceptibly silent and wont be making any louder sound in the
future, at which point a voice is turned off to save resources.  My
guess is that this logic does not take into account loop and release
samples.  So if the loop was silent, it would disregard the sample
data which follows the loop and assume that it will be forever silent.

I opened a new ticket here:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/ticket/93

Cheers!

Element