Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Patch for channel_type, also XG drum-channel autoswi

From: jimmy
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: Patch for channel_type, also XG drum-channel autoswitch
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 14:20:49 -0800 (PST)

Some more thoughts...

--- On Thu, 2/10/11, David Henningsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2) The SF2 spec - which Pedro quoted - says that sf2 bank
> 0-127 is
> melodic and 128 is drums. So there is no "SFX Voice" in the
> SF2
> standard, and no "SFX Kit" either. So what do we do with
> it? Currently,
> we ignore MSB for 64/0x40 and map 126/0x7E, to drums, but
> should we
> change the bank calculation from "LSB" to MSB*128+LSB (mma
> style), the
> result for 64/0x40 would be a bank outside the valid SF2
> bank range.

So what if it is out side SF2 bank range?  SF2 bank range calls for 128
instruments per LSB, up to 128 LSB values.

How about having one MSB mapping to the above range.  Any additional MSB value
can have one extra set of the above range available.

All instruments mapping have 2 fall-back tendencies at this time:

   Drum-channels gravitate toward GM-drum bank by default.

   Melodic channels gravitate toward GM-basic sound banks by default.

If something is not found in the soundfont look up, we already have the
substitution in place to use GM defaults (I put in the patch 2-3 years ago,
Josh G. did that).

SF2 bank range can be seen as basic 128-bank block under MSB.  Just because
decimal number range is 0-9 doesn't mean I can't have 10, 100, 1000.  Or,
binary range is only 0-1, I can't have 2, 4, 8, 16.

> I understand that you want MSB*128+LSB / mma-style
> calculation for XG,
> I'm just not convinced that it's the right way to do.

So how do you suggest we handdle GM specs regarding MSB?  Ignore it altogether,
just because Roland GS folks don't use it?

Jimmy

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/