[fluid-dev] Rerouting output

From: Nuzhna Pomoshch
Subject: [fluid-dev] Rerouting output
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 14:04:59 -0800 (PST)

I hope this doesn't sound like a complete newbie question (even
though it is), but how do I send the output from fluidsynth to
another program.

I have vmpk installed, and the documentation states:

"You can use the Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard to display the
played MIDI notes from another instrument or MIDI file player.
To do so, connect the other MIDI port to the input port of VMPK."

I tried connecting Midi Through to the vmpk input, but that
didn't work.

$ aconnect -l -i
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
        Connecting To: 15:0
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
        Connecting To: 130:0
client 129: 'VMPK Output' [type=user]
    0 'VMPK Output     '
        Connecting To: 128:0[real:0]

$ aconnect -l -o
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
        Connecting To: 130:0
client 128: 'FLUID Synth (29527)' [type=user]
    0 'Synth input port (29527:0)'
        Connected From: 129:0[real:0]
client 130: 'VMPK Input' [type=user]
    0 'VMPK Input      '
        Connected From: 14:0

Should fluidsynth appear in both the list of input and output
connections (and if not, why not?)?

Thank you again for your help.

Nuzhna