Re: [fluid-dev] JACK connection problems with fluidsynth

From: Shamus
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] JACK connection problems with fluidsynth
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 09:51:36 -0500

Hi David,

I'm using JACK for audio and ALSA for MIDI, but it doesn't matter if I
use JACK for both--the result is the same. If I run JACK in non-realtime
mode there is no kick-out anywhere, but this is an unacceptable mode of
operation as I use this setup for multi-track recording. I have an
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496, which is an ICE1712 based card.

The latency on JACK is 11.6 msec, according to QJackCtl, and this is
already skating on the high side of things. I have it set to 256 frames,
2 periods/buffer at a sample rate of 44.1KHz. JACK version is 0.120.1.

If fluidsynth is just a wrapper around libfluidsynth, then I'm not sure
why Qsynth doesn't work correctly as it's basically just a GUI wrapper
around libfluidsynth. But perhaps it's related to the problem with
resetting fluidsynth from the command line: All the cases where kick-out
happens haven't been addressed yet.

Qsynth/fluidsynth used to work in the past with this configuration (I've
been using it for a few years at least!), so I'm not sure why it doesn't
work correctly anymore. :-/ But I *do* know that the patch that was
posted to this list *does* work; apparently it just needs to be applied
to some other code paths (like the "reset" code).

BTW, Qsynth/fluidsynth are the only programs that exhibit this kick-out
behavior. All of the other JACK aware programs that I use (Rosegarden,
Ardour, Hydrogen) *do not* exhibit this kind of behavior.

Warmest regards,

-- Shamus