Re: [fluid-dev] SONAME Bump?

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] SONAME Bump?
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 14:24:41 +0100

On Sat, Aug 06, 2011 at 03:05:06PM +0200, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> On Saturday 06 August 2011, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 06, 2011 at 02:42:59PM +0200, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> > > The auto-tools based build system of FluidSynth is deprecated, and
> > > was using libtool. The new CMake based build system does not use
> > > libtool.
> >
> > That's unfortunate. Consider using libtool. This level of shared
> > library manipulation is annoyingly non-portable, and implementing
> > support for every platform is tiresome. libtool exists to solve this
> > problem, so doing it yourself is just "rewriting libtool".
> >
> > (If you only want to support glibc-elf, it's easy, but I don't think
> > that's relevant here)
>
> We have already seen libtool doing a poor job with FluidSynth in Mac OSX.

Well, your alternative is to become an expert on the shared library
systems of all interesting platforms and spend a lot of time
reinventing what libtool does and writing lengthly rants about how
appalling the various platforms are. I can personally attest to the
profound insanity of shared library behaviour on glibc-elf and
windows, neither of which do what any reasonable person would expect
or desire. The documentation is also wrong or non-existant and you
must consult the code to find out what really happens.

I usually find this is a yak-shaving exercise when you want something
to work on more than one platform, but it's just a question of what
you want to spend time on.

(If anybody wants to write a better libtool, that would be nice)