Re: [fluid-dev] using fluidsynth to create soundfont based samples for a

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] using fluidsynth to create soundfont based samples for a supercollider sampler
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 22:39:25 +0100

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 02:06:49PM -0700, Michael Geis wrote:
> The current idea is to create each sample file by passing fluidsynth a one
> note .mid file,
> outputting the raw wave data to file and then converting to .wav with sox.
>
> The sampler is not very complicated, it essentially applies an ADSR envelope
> to the samples. So as long as I can pry those four phases apart within
> every .wav file I get from fluidsynth (i.e. find the offset in frames into
> the .wav
> for beginning and end of each phase), it is likely going get the job done or
> at least be
> reasonably close to what they need.

You're describing a midi renderer.

You just want to adjust the envelope? Grab a soundfont editor (swami)
and add modulators to the instruments you want to work with. Use a
single source, set to an unused midi CC, and a destination of volume
envelope -> attack/hold/delay/sustain/etc. Create one for each
parameter you want to control. Want to adjust something else? Probably
can do it the same way.

Now just use fluidsynth to play the note, and send it CC messages to
adjust those settings. Or use any other soundfont-compliant midi
renderer, including a lot of keyboards, and do the same thing.

This is what midi keyboards were *invented* to do; the rest came
later. It's not specific to fluidsynth. Mutating sounds is the main
purpose of the technology. Normally the CCs would be driver by sliders
on a physical keyboard.

(IIRC, supercollider is jack-based, so you can just route fluidsynth's
output into it directly in real time)