[fluid-dev] Command Line MIDI and Configuration Files (fluidsynth(1), v1

From: R.L. Horn
Subject: [fluid-dev] Command Line MIDI and Configuration Files (fluidsynth(1), v1.1.5)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 18:44:54 -0600 (CST)

Recently, I've been working with the Byrd Gradualia and wasn't too thrilled with the default 12TET tuning. I wrote some scripts to generate tuning shell commands, e.g.:

    tuning youngs_well_temperament 0 0
    tune 0 0 0 0
    tune 0 0 1 93.9
    tune 0 0 2 195.8
    settuning 0 0 0
    settuning 1 0 0

This works great when I connect a keyboard or otherwise send events via the ALSA sequencer, but has no effect when specifying a file on the command line (i.e. fluidsynth -f youngs.txt [soundfont] [midifile]).

I found a thread (http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2011-11/msg00007.html) that seemed to address a similar issue, but that one was, apparently, resolved.

I also found ticket #103, but that clearly concerns something completely different.

One possible clue is that, when wrestling with the fast renderer, which has a nasty habit of cutting off the output before everything has settled, I attempted to append a bit of silence with:

   fluidsynth -F [file] [soundfont] [midifile] silence.midi

and got a noticable click. Now, I'm wondering if specifying a file implies a reset of some sort.