Re: [fluid-dev] What Aere has been working on

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] What Aere has been working on
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 07:26:52 +0200

On 2014-06-12 05:49, Aere Greenway wrote:
FluidSynth Developers:

I've been working for a long time on a project which makes use of
FluidSynth (Qsynth) on Linux.

If you are interested in my project, there is a link below you can
click-on, and view (and hear) the demos and material there.

In a nut-shell, it's a software application that converts your computer
(with only a typing-keyboard) into an amazing musical instrument, and is
much easier to learn to play than other musical instruments.

The fingerings are the same in every key-signature (both chords and
melody), and you can finger the next chord while the current chord is
playing.  You can change instruments and/or key-signatures (even while
holding out notes and a chord) with a single key-stroke.

Interesting stuff. For me, who already can play piano, it would have been interesting to have something when you're away from home and don't have a piano in your backpack.

This approach would not fit me, though. Not so much for the lack of touch sensitivity as for the lack of keys out of the scale decided by the chord. There is no way, AFAICT, to play a D7#5#9 or a C13#11, as the scale you play is determined by the current key and/or chord. But then maybe this software is mainly targeted towards beginners, rather than people like myself.

Btw, a link to FluidSynth somewhere would have been nice (but not required). And I assume you follow LGPL so that it will be possible for users of your software to recompile and update FluidSynth independently.

// David