Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth router for program change

From: R.L. Horn
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth router for program change
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:18:23 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015, Gino Latino wrote:

On the roof I'm thinking that using the port names implies that you must know the devices name, but what if i want to connect an unknown device?

You have to muck about in /proc/asound a bit.

For example, assuming you know that card 1 has MIDI devices associated with it, you could use "head -n1 /proc/asound/card1/midi0" to get the name of the first MIDI device, then cross-reference with /proc/asound/seq/clients (or the output from aconnect).

It's something of a PITA, but it's better than a stab in the dark, which is what you're doing now. You can't know with absolute certainty that hw:1 will be a MIDI device, much less the one you want. Though it probably will be.

Don't even get me started on duplicate names, especially where USB is involved. A lot of manufacturers, and I just noticed that Yamaha is one of them, don't give you enough information to differentiate among devices.