Re: [fluid-dev] Akai EWI-USB, Raspberry-Pi, and FluidSynth

From: Peter Billam
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Akai EWI-USB, Raspberry-Pi, and FluidSynth
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 10:52 +1100

Marcus Weseloh wrote:

> I'm also working on a (commercial) project with Fluidsynth on ARM
> hardware, but I'm using an Allwinner A20 SOM board. I'm producing it
> commercially, because I'm also developing the controller hardware
> (the instrument itself, all the keys etc). But the whole software stack
> will be released as open-source. Details on http://www.midigurdy.com

Another great project :-)

There are more niche ARM-projects I can think of, like an affordable
30-note (or 32-note) organ-style pedalboard; or a midi-pedal-board
with 6..8 pedals (switches and potentiometers) a neat UI (web-page?)
to set them to particular channels and controllers (no fluidsynth
needed for that one :-( ); or plain-old-midi-keyboards but built for
stackability (ie: the lower kbds have a flat unpopulated top-panel
and the upper-keyboards a front-undercut of matching size so there's
no waste space between the keyboards).

At the OSDC conference  https://2015.osdc.com.au/
I've just given a talk  http://www.pjb.com.au/midi/osdc/index.html
which mentions (towards the end) exactly this stuff.
  http://www.pjb.com.au/midi/osdc/index.html#80  and onwards
Also:
> I'm using a preempt-rt enabled kernel with hand-optimized IRQ
> priorities and that gives me a latency (from key press to start
> of sound) of about 12-15ms, which is acceptable.
On an ARM: yay! well done. At
  http://www.pjb.com.au/midi/osdc/index.html#03
I reckon
  About 10 milliseconds latency is acceptable.  Of the linux synths,
  TiMidity doesn't meet this; fluidsynth maybe just meets it,
  on a fast CPU.

All the best with midigurdy.

Peter Billam

http://www.pjb.com.au      address@hidden     (03) 6278 9410
"Follow the charge, not the particle."  --  Richard Feynman
 from The Theory of Positrons, Physical Review, 1949