[fluid-dev] SoundFont parameter analysis

From: Garth Hjelte
Subject: [fluid-dev] SoundFont parameter analysis
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 08:50:22 -0500

I have a SoundFont that kind of stumps me a bit.

I've long studied the SoundFont spec, and mostly it's great, but there are a
couple ambiguities in it.

Still, I can't figure out why this SoundFont plays back the way it does. I
always try SoundFonts in Emu Vienna and Viena, I always consider those
"correct". But when I play this back in other SoundFont players, it plays back
differently - and including my own SoundFont interpretation software, and make
the same "mistake".

FluidSynth reads it correctly, though, so I thought I'd ask here.

The issue is the ModEnv attack and release times. The parameter is set in the
PGEN (Preset) area, not the IGEN (Instrument) areas. It is set to 60ms attack
and 50ms release, but the sound is more like 1.5sec attack and release, played
back in Vienna Viena FluidSynth. (I like Viena because it shows where the
parameters are set very easily.)

I someone could look at this SF and tell me why the attack and release sound
like they do, I'd appreciate it.

www.chickensys.com/bin/Sweep_Pad.zip

Garth Hjelte
Sampler User