Re: [fluid-dev] V2 Chorus/reverb parameter ranges

From: Ben Gonzales
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] V2 Chorus/reverb parameter ranges
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2018 06:50:13 +1100

Thanks JJC for this and the previous one. That clarifies things - I understand it a lot better now.

Ben

On 07/10/18 00:36, Ceresa Jean-Jacques wrote:

>What's a useful %

There is no rules because it depends of the instrument and the orchestration.

Each effect unit (reverb or chorus) is made of the direct signal (in) connected to the input reverb through the send (%) value.

Then the direct signal is added to the effect's output to produce the final output (out). Example for reverb:

in reverb = in * send

out reverb = reverb (in reverb)

out = in +  out reverb.

The more is send value the more the reverb sound (out reverb) will mask the direct signal (in). We hear only the instrument sound coming from far away.

The less is send value the more direct signal will mask the reverb ouput. We hear the instrument very near of our ears.

When playing an instrument alone, it is probably important to set send value to hear a good amount of direct signal.

When playing multiples instruments, different send % produce relative send effect. For exemple playing a piano accompanying a flute both with reverb with piano send =10% and flute send = 50%. This will produce a more reverb for flute than for piano. Note that the send value produces also an effect relative to the direct signal.

jjc