Re: [fluid-dev] Adding 8bit support.

From: Tom M.
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Adding 8bit support.
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 15:22:14 +0100

I guess that fluid_synth_write_s16() was introduced because it was
needed by an audio driver that was not able to cope with floats. Not
absolutely sure, fluid_synth_write_s16() is older than Initial Commit.

If we add fluid_synth_write_u8() it should be required by some audio
driver as well. If not, it would be good to see more people requiring
8bit support. I personally don't think it's common or useful enough to
be added to fluidsynth nowadays. And also because converting from
s16 to u8 it pretty straight forward for an application, I don't think
it's likely to be added, sry.

Tom