Re: [fluid-dev] SoundFont Preset generator interpretation

From: Garth Hjelte
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] SoundFont Preset generator interpretation
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 12:49:38 -0500

At 12:39 PM 6/22/2020, you wrote:

>> I got a response from the Viena author; the mistake I was making was that I
>> was doing this:
>>
>> CalcToTimeVal(PresetZoneVal) + CalcToTimeVal(InstrumentZoneVal) = FinalResult
>
>Oh, Déjà-vu! Same topic, yesterday, two years ago:
>https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2018-06/msg00051.html
>Very exciting :)

Wow. Just wow. This totally shows that my 100% stupidity is made up by 100%
luck. =)

(I also printed my check number 6666 today.)

I knew I asked this before. And, it's the summer solstice too - so, definitely
solar related. Watch out, my question will be repeated based on Halley's Comet.
See you in 76 years. =)

Just to nail my body into the coffin, part of my confusion was some
slight-of-math-hand stuff. Viena shows in the Preset Level a number as a
Factor, since it doesn't necessarily show actual internal values (nor should
it).

So in my case, Viena shows the integer 31 for the internal value 5495, and it's
not supposed to mean 31sec but "a factor of 31". So you can MULTIPLY this with
any Instrument Zone value-in-seconds and you'll get your
final-value-in-seconds. Coincidentally (and this is the slight-of-hand), if you
add the internal timecents values and then CalcTimeVal(), you get the same
result.

It confused me because it's two ways of doing the same thing, and I was mixing
the two approaches improperly.

Garth Hjelte
Sampler User