Re: [fluid-dev] universal macOS dynamic libs for a Pure data external?

From: hamish
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] universal macOS dynamic libs for a Pure data external?
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 09:37:48 +1000

On 2/5/22 06:00, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
Hi there, I'm working on an external for Pure Data, see https://github.com/porres/pd-fluidsynth

I want it to be available for both intel and apple silicon, the problem is with the dynamic libs I'm shipping with the external, it seems I need universal builds. I had installed fluidsynth via homebrew on a mac intel using monterey and it didn't work on a M1 mac.

Unfortunately I'm not a real programmer and I struggle a lot. I wasn't able to follow the steps on building fluidsynth myself, let alone have universal builds that I'd need for my Pd external.

I wonder if this mail list can help me and would also like to ask why there's no mac builds in the release page on github ( https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/releases/tag/v2.2.7 ) just for windows and android.

By the way, the external I build using monterey doesn't work in earlier versions like mojave, and the ones I built from an installed fluidsynth in mojave appears as from "unverified developer". So there's all these issues with fluidsynth for mac. The ideal would be to have dinamic libs that are universal and load in a wide range of macOSes without "unverified developer" issues.

brew creates builds that are intended for your own machine only and are not intended to be portable. Your Monterey build will be compiled against the latest macOS SDK with a high deployment target set, hence it doesn't run on Mojave. If you build it on Mojave it should run on Monterey (for Intel rather than M1 though obviously). I have to build Fluidsynth on an old macOS VM because of this.

MacPorts is an alternative to brew which is supposedly better in this regard. I haven't tried it.

The "unverified developer" issue would be because you haven't signed the build.

Hamish