forge-main

[Forge-main] What's In A Name

From: Ricardo Gladwell
Subject: [Forge-main] What's In A Name
Date: 14 Nov 2002 12:08:39 +0000

Dear All,

It has come to my attention that the name FORGE is already used in
reference to roleplaying in a couple of other situations. Foremost is
the independent roleplaying site The Forge (http://www.indie-rpgs.com/).
It's quite popular and I've heard it mentioned several times.

Does this mean we have to change our name? Not necessarily. AFAIK Forge
is not a trademarked term as far as roleplaying is concerned. We could
still use the word 'forge' to refer to our system. By formalizing the
way we refer to it we could make it different. For example, we could put
it in capitals FORGE. Also, we could simply refer to it as FORGE, Basic
FORGE, Fantasy FORGE, but never as *The* FORGE, for example.

Lastly, if we still feel it is necessary to change the name (which is
not impossible, although it does mean moving stuff around online, which
is a pain) does anyone have any suggestions? We could use FOURGE (Free
and Open Unified Roleplaying Game Engine). Or something else?

Yours...

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community