forge-main

Re: [Forge-main] Re: Re: Skills List [LONG] (Ricardo Gladwell)

From: Ricardo Gladwell
Subject: Re: [Forge-main] Re: Re: Skills List [LONG] (Ricardo Gladwell)
Date: 14 Dec 2002 16:09:42 +0000

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 06:04, Jerry Stratton wrote:
> While I don't necessarily like the solution for complexity issues, I don't
> think that this is necessarily the same problem. In the previous case, the
> problem was that a character could have a bunch of low-level skills and end
> up having a really high score overall.

I would agree with you here, Jerry.

> SEGUE

Good word :)

> What about making a "scalable" game where the basic game, for simplicity,
> *only* uses skill groups (Animals, Propelled Weapons, Thrown Weapons, Melee
> Weapons), and there are a finite, set number of skill groups? For more
> advanced games, players could be allowed to choose "specialties" within those
> groups; specialties are cheaper to train in but apply only to that particular
> specialty, and are near-infinite in number. So a character could have Animals
> 3, with Dogs +2; so that Animals cost 1+2+3; Dogs +2 cost +1+2. The character
> has a skill rating of 3 with all animals except dogs, for which they have a
> skill rating of 5. Or you could charge double or more for the skill group.
> (If using the BRP-style system, the roll would have to be greater than the
> skill group if increasing the entire group, or greater than the bonus, if
> increasing the specialty.)

That is a really good idea - I love it! The only problem with a skill
group system as you mention is that not all skills fit into it all that
well. For example, could you find a generic skill group for Strategy,
Heal and so on. I'd be interested to see if you could come up with a
list of skill groups for the above proposal that would cover 'all the
bases' for skills.

Yours...

--
Ricardo Gladwell