forge-main

Re: [Forge-main] Happy Holidays

From: Jerry Stratton
Subject: Re: [Forge-main] Happy Holidays
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 09:52:48 -0800

At 1:01 PM +0000 on 1/4/03, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:
>I'm planning to have a version 0.1 of FRINGE published in the next week
>or so which will include the new mechanic. I think we might abandon the
>idea of skill groups for this version as no single incarnation of this
>idea works for everyone.

That reminds me; here are my first notes on a possible skill grouping that
involves groups as being primary over skills:

While I've got five levels of skills, the skills at one level are designed to
be equivalent, so any number of high level skills can be removed. (I think the
consensus previously was only two levels of skills; I think that three levels
of skills might provide some amount of simplicity for certain genres. I.e.,
instead of specifying that your character is skilled at football, or Team
Ballgames, your character would simply be skilled at "sports". I can see that
working for some forms of space opera, for example.)

All Skills
        Physical Skills
                Music
                        Stringed Instruments
                                Guitar
                                Mandolin
                                Ukelele
                        Keyboarded Instruments
                                Piano
                                Harpsichord
                                Synthesizer
                        Voice
                                Opera
                                Popular Music
                        Dance (this might actually be moved up one level)
                                Ballroom Dance
                                Modern Dance
                Sports (I don't really know sports well, but you get the idea)
                        Team Ballgames
                                Football
                                Soccer
                                Basketball
                                Cricket
                        Moving Quickly
                                Running
                                Skiing
                        Lawn/Aimed Games
                                Croquet
                                Pool
                                Horseshoes
                        Video Games/Pinball Machines
                                Space Invaders
                                Pac-Man
                                Doom
                Combat
                        Unarmed Combat
                                Streetfighting
                                Boxing
                                Karate
                                Jujitsu
                        Sharp Weapons
                                Sword
                                Short Sword
                                Machete
                                Axe
                        Pointed Weapons
                                Spear
                                Pole Arm
                        Thrown Weapons
                                Spear
                                Axe
                        Firearms/Crossbows
                                Handguns
                                Rifles
                        Bows
                                Longbow
                                Shortbow
        Mental Skills
                Sciences
                        Physics
                        Mathematics
                                Algebra
                                Geometry
                                Calculus
                        Medicine
                                Paramedic/First Aid at low level, Field Surgery
at high level
                                Neurologist
                                Anesthesiologist
                                Surgeon