forge-main

[Forge-main] FRINGE Meta-System (was New FRPGC Blog)

From: Ricardo Gladwell
Subject: [Forge-main] FRINGE Meta-System (was New FRPGC Blog)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:22:50 +0000

Hi All,

Actually, reading through The Forge has given me a few ideas regarding FRINGE. For example, there is no reason I can't create a more 'meta-game' system from FRINGE a la FUDGE. Rather than have specific set abilities or skills, I could devise a more generic system that simply specifies that an 'ability' and a 'skill' are required to make a roll and makes no assumptions about what precisely those traits are.

For example, if a character is defined with just two abilities: Mind and Body, whilst another is defined with the current FRINGE suite of abilities (Intelligence, Strength, etc), there is no reason they couldn't otherwise interract. A test to out-run each other could still be determined by Body + Run versus Agility + Sport, for example. Since they are both on the same scale, there would be no problems that couldn't be fixed with a bit of gamesmaster imagination.

This leads me to consider splitting FRINGE into two systems: FRINGE would become the meta-system, whilst a new system, called CORE, would define a standardised sub-syste of FRINGE that can be used as a generic roleplaying system for commong types of games (i.e. d20-like fantasy, Storyteller-like modern horror, etc).

Thoughts?

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community