free-announce

[Free-announce] great-grandfather

From: Martha Oneal
Subject: [Free-announce] great-grandfather
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:42:17 +0300

Again we werereleased from the exercises.
I did not see him again until later in Oran,where a very similar performance took place.
He thought hisperfect Parisian French would carry him through.
Well, they wont do anything, they have an easy job of it.
How thiswould have worked with a loaded gun, and when the time for shootingcame, is another matter. It may be that that wastaken out of him by his experiences in the French army. A shortceremony was held, nearly all the soldiers refusing to enter thechurch.
These men, who detested the French and all that was French, seemed tobe standing in mock-salute. I decided to receive my money at the post office without the sergeant.
At the window a sergeant counted the loaves as they were passedout.
He never troubledhimself about me, either with advice, or a kind word, or influence.
I never found out who the censor was, or who wrote openedby military censor. Five oclock was the hour for going out, and so he seemed todelight in being late in his office. I watched from the window how all the petitioners were lined up,standing at attention.
Many turned their back to it and scowled.
He was clever and had a great deal of charm,although he was without much moral courage. There were those who wished to berepatriated and those who had private grievances. Some peopledont need to talk, they know each other by instinct.
They resented being called down and insulted by petty Germanofficers. The outgoingletters underwent the same inspection. The outgoingletters underwent the same inspection.
You have come here to air your grievances, I suppose? But they werecertainly the best element in behaviour and appearance.
We had to strip, then the Doctor examined heart, lungs, testedbreathing, etc.
The outgoingletters underwent the same inspection. This was becauseonce after five oclock I had gone to his room and had had a chat withhim.
What is the life of a poor Arab in the Legion?
He did not see the wrongside of what the Germans had been doing up to that time.
He had anextraordinarily young and handsome orderly who accompanied him.
The cemetery was quite a distance from the town. This was their opportunity; they would speak.
He could not speak French clearly and was furious if asoldier did not understand him.
Inwardly I wept when I had been tried with onemovement so long that I could not do it any more. Even that was difficult forthe slouchy devil-may-care boys and men. Each one of our injections wasregistered in our military books.
Inwardly I wept when I had been tried with onemovement so long that I could not do it any more. Why have youwaited all this time to come to me?
I decided to receive my money at the post office without the sergeant.